Wednesday, August 6, 2014

hungry: watermelon cucumber popsicles

Recently, Sean and I purchased a watermelon that was a little bit on the unripe side. I was so disappointed as a juice, ripe watermelon is a taste that can't be beat during the hot days of summer. I didn't want the watermelon to go to waste so I scoured the internet for a recipe that contained watermelon and one that would be cool and satisfying. I came across the following recipe for watermelon and cucumber popsicles from a pin I kept on Pinterest. Yes, I do actually refer back to the things I've pinned!

From The Comfort of Cooking, this recipe requires only four ingredients and makes great use of a popsicle mold. This is the one I purchased from Amazon for less than $20. It makes 10 3-ounce popsicles at a time and comes with two dozen popsicle sticks to start you off. This one is also another great option and has higher reviews but wasn't available in Canada when I was looking or a popsicle mold.

Watermelon Cucumber Popsicles with Mint
from The Comfort of Cooking

1/2 English cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small watermelon (approx. 1lb), peeled and cut into chunks
1/3 cup simple syrup
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl or large liquid measuring cup to remove solids. I recommend a measuring cup as this makes pouring easier.
Pour mixture into your popsicle mold, leaving a little room at the top for the mixture to expand. Freeze for 1 hour. Insert sticks and continue to freeze for another 4-5 hours, at least.

One change to the recipe I made was to use agave syrup instead of simple syrup. This is simply because I had the agave around and didn't feel like making simple syrup--even though it is a simple enough recipe. I probably used about 2 tablespoons but this really depends on how unripe or ripe your watermelon is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment